- Funding agency: European Commission (Contract No. ICA4-CT-2001-10054)
- Coordinating agency: Agricultural Economic Institute (LEI), Wageningen University and Researcher Center, the Netherlands
- Covering period: 4 years (completed by 12/2005)
- CARES, Hanoi University of Agriculture , Vietnam
- Soil and Fertility Institute, Sichuan, China
- College of Agricultural Economics and Trades, Sichuan, China
- Plant Protection Institute, Sichuan, China
- Hannover University, German
- Alterra, Wageningen University, the Netherlands
Farmers are evalutating the experiment in controlling “clubroot” disease on wrapped heart mustard in Sondu village, Nguyen Khe commune, Dong Anh district, Hanoi (Nov. 2004)
The general objective of this project is to contribute to the development of economically viable vegetable production systems by smallholder farmers in Sichuan Province, China and Northern Vietnam without compromising the natural resource base. To achieve this goal, improved technologies for vegetable cash crop production will be developed using a combination of on-farm testing and participatory experimentation (http://www.vegsys.nl).
In specific, the project seeks:
- To identify and analyse the key biophysical and economic constraints to productivity, profitability and sustainability of smallholder vegetable farming systems.
- To develop and test in a participatory manner improved pest and disease management techniques in vegetable farming systems with increased efficiency of use, effectiveness and reduced impact on the environment.
- To develop and test in a participatory manner improved soil fertility management techniques in vegetable farming systems that improve both productivity and long-term sustainability.
- To identify marketing strategies that increase the profitability of vegetable production.
- To make information on developed technologies widely available to farmers and to formulate complimentary policy and programme options at the local or regional level to promote adoption of the improved production techniques.
Farmers are evalutating the experiment in controlling virus disease on wax gourd in Tangmy village, Nam Hong commune, Dong Anh district, Hanoi (Nov. 2004)